Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Recovering Evangelism


Missional Church: Recovering Evangelism as authentic, credible Witness (Ryan Bell) Click to listen


The word "Evangelism" is in bad shape these days. The church's methods of evangelizing the world often do more harm than good. Why? Let me make a confession. I'm more interested in winning people over to my point of view than engaging in authentic friendship and being there when my neighbor's in need. I'm more interested in validating my own sense of value and importance to God's kingdom than in spending myself unconditionally, loving someone who shows no signs of ever reciprocating or turning to God. I think the church is more interested in a 10-step plan to "winning souls" than in befriending our communities, more interested in numbers and efficiency than in genuine life change. I think we're willing to give up our bodies to be burned, but we don't know what love is.

Just recently Pastor Ryan got an inside look at how the world views us Christians, talking to a girl in a barbershop on Sunset Blvd. She told him about her absolute repulsion when a Christian asks her if she goes to church, and then condescendingly tells her "I'll pray for you." This girl can sense that such a Christian isn't really interested in getting to know her or in finding out what she thinks, as in winning her over to a point of view.

What would it take to restore "Evangelism"? What would it take to restore the church's image as a group of the most radically loving and alive people you'd ever met? . . . Let me rephrase that. What would it take to restore the church as a group of the most radically loving and alive people you'd ever met?

I think its possible, but it will take a pretty radical transformation inside all of us.

I would love for you guys to hear Ryan's presentation:
Missional Church: Recovering Evangelism as authentic, credible Witness

I think it really nails the issue head-on. I could hardly sit still while listening.


"How is it possible that the gospel should be credible, that people should come to believe that the power which has the last word in human affairs is represented by a man hanging on a cross? I am suggesting that the only answer, the only hermeneutic of the gospel, is a congregation of men and women who believe it and live by it." - Leslie Newbegin

No comments: